Wednesday, May 10, 2006

a convergence of beauty!


Before bed on Tuesday evening, I heard the pleasant sound of rain. A little later I went outside, as I usually do before bed to take in the night air and sky. Not really to my surprise, it was snowing heavily – a typical spring snowstorm. Living a few hundred feet higher than the city of Denver means that we often get snow when they don’t.


Wednesday morning, I was tired and didn’t want to get up when the alarm went off at 5 a.m. My younger son tried to coax me up with a plaintive, “I’m really hungry!” I turned over for a few more minutes. Then my older son said, “There is a beautiful sunrise happening outside right now!” I was out of bed, dressed and up at Top of the World in less than 10 minutes!


Up to a white world, wet and crackling with the sound of the rapidly melting and sublimating snow. So much was falling from the trees that it looked like it might be still snowing.


I checked out my old favorite tree and was charmed by a succulent green lichen that coats its bark, invisible except when we get these wet, warm moisture events.

Don’t ever think that you have seen it all.

2 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger The Old Bag said...

Love these pics -- especially the sunset and the old tree.

Amazing how certain things can get us moving on a slog-morning, isn't it?

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Super! Love that last self-portrait in shadow. Well, love 'em all. Neat. Blog loading must faster now. Works great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home