Tuesday, November 29, 2005

top of the morning from Top of the World


When my two sons were little, we used to walk the short distance from our house to the nearby baseball field. It sits perched above Denver, surrounded by a guardian row of big spruce trees. From here you can see all of Denver and all of Green Mountain and lots of the Front Range mountains as well. We played our own version of baseball and I marveled at the beauty of ‘top of the world park’ as I called it to myself. Today I decided to juggle priorities once again. The bills call to me or rather shout ugly accusations more likely. So in an effort to get some of these life chores accomplished I devised a plan to reward myself like a parent would reward a child. But in this case, it was dessert first. All I have to do to reach ‘top of the world’ is walk past the next-door neighbor’s house and up a flight of steps. I’m there. How sweet is it that when I bought my house 15 years ago, these visual treasures were waiting nearby for discovery. All I had to do was open my eyes.

5 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

environmental biologist? what exactly do you do? i'm in high school, interested in the environment.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

My work over the years has varied from (1) conducting pre-mining inventories of vegetation for the purpose of guiding reclamation after the completion of mining to what I do now which is (2)the field of remote sensing and geographic information systems. What that means is the use of data collected at a distance from the earth (satellite imagery, aerial photography, etc)to create geographically referenced maps and databases of different kinds of natural resources. To translate, I have mapped instream habitat for endangered fish using airborne videography and now specialize in mapping vegetation using aerial photography. Some of my work is used in the negotiation between resource development (specifically water) and protection of native species. The vegetation work is to establish baseline conditions for management. This kind of work can involve a great deal of time in the field collecting data as well as a lot of time parked in front of the computer. Hope that helps a little.

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Jill Homer said...

Great photos! I especially like the moonlit sunset.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger The Donut Guy said...

Cool job Ptelea.

One guess as to what I do for a living:-)

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for such a detailed description! excellent. very interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home