Friday, August 25, 2006

Nostalgia


My younger son has gone away to college and I miss him more than I thought I would. A couple of days ago, I found a music CD in the car that he put together. He wrote ‘Steve’s Cool Mix’ on the cover! It has a wide selection of songs on it including I Promise You I Will by Depeche Mode and Toto’s Africa and even Bless the Broken Road by Rascal Flatt. The CD player in the car rarely works but for some reason, that morning it worked. Listening to these songs has sent me into a nostalgia jag of several days duration, with no end in sight!

I spent last evening peeling, cutting and freezing two boxes of delicious Noland Orchards western slope peaches. I just kept playing this CD over and over. Our weather has been mixed with cool and clouds, just the right atmosphere for me to indulge my emotions!


A post at Neil Shakespeare's blog (welcome back, Neil!!!) made me think of an old photo. When my boys were little, my dad converted his old riding mower, the Snapper Comet 30 to a tractor of sorts. He retired to the mountains and used it to haul brush and rocks. He also found the time to give my sons rides in the cart. One of our memories of the past.

As I finish this post, I think the clouds may be burning off but where will that lead (as I hit the replay button)?

every long lost dream lead me to where you are...

4 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to let go.
One of the hardest things for a parent to do. But in doing it, both the child AND the parent grows.
Don't despair, there are always new adventures just ahead.....
v

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Ellie said...

I could easily get in the same mood Ptelea. Any time I feel nostolgic I look through my daughters photo album. Every year, every party, every event is in there and even though I didn't feel that sappy then, I sure can now. Call him. He'll always love mom.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger The Old Bag said...

Thinking of you!

The CD find: very cool. very timely. very comforting. very bittersweet.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Those peaches sure look delicious! the tractor looks fun. I remember getting pulled in my little red wagon, not lucky enough to have a tractor pulling it though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home