Wednesday, November 30, 2005

All Blessings Flow



This morning I debated whether or not to take the camera and tripod on my hike. In the balance today, hiking was to have the lead. The compromise was to take ‘the gear’ but a limited number of batteries. REALLY, who am I kidding, the only way I would not take the camera now is if it were broken. And then I would take the old 35 mm film camera. If it were a just a matter of batteries, I would drive to the very nearby store and buy some even if it meant being a little late for my date

Contrary to the norm, I didn’t check weatherunderground, I just poked my head outdoors as I let the cats out and then dressed as I thought best. For the first time in days, I didn’t feel an adjustment to the chill. Maybe it wasn’t that cold. I felt warm and even the ever-present wind caressed rather than whipped. I felt completely calm even as I started past the burn area. I felt no worries about how the sunrise would look. The sky and land are so full of offering; I just choose what feels good and right. What doesn’t? It seemed like the perfect balance of art and effort. As I sit here tonight searching for words to describe the feelings or state that I reach, a hymn from my childhood, Praise God, From Whom All Blessings Flow goes through my head. I am not of that religion but the blessings are flowing through me from everywhere. Sometimes when I am on my mountain, I have this sensation that a bright light is shining on me. If it is cloudy when I get this sensation, I always look up to see if the sun is peeking out from behind the clouds, knowing full well that it is not coming from the sun. I skipped down the last of the trail, the steep switchbacks, my favorite part with a smile on my face, full of energy ready to embrace whatever gifts that life has to offer me today. I had been worried last night about all of my bills. Today my boss gave me an award that alleviated my worry.

I was chilled by the time I got to work, the wind sucking out my body’s warmth like a January Chinook. I wore my favorite pink fleece pullover the entire day feeling warm and cozy inside of myself. I sit here now, at the other end of the day, warmed by a cup of Lady Grey. I am soon to bed, every night now like Christmas Eve. Tomorrow I will gather more beautiful things.

2 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Blogger The Donut Guy said...

You have me sucked in with all these great shots you are taking :-)

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

thank you george - I'm having a lot of fun taking them, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home