Saturday, February 11, 2006

CAR WASH!

(As you read this I recommend you sing Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell)
I live in a suburb of Denver that was originally developed back in the early 1970’s. Lately, the only development has been infill. One large piece of undeveloped land near me is undergoing development. This piece of land has been open for quite some time. A local who was born and raised here told me there used to be a golf driving range on the property and sure enough, if you looked you could see some remnants of the light poles. But now we have a new auto parts store, a Sonic Drive-In, and soon we will have a Walgreens and the new CAR WASH. This is the biggest, gaudiest car wash I have ever seen. It seems so overdone. I think someone who is WAY too into car washes designed it, someone who needs to get out more.

You can get in your car and drive 1 to 4 minutes (or walk!) and get to another one of any of these kinds of businesses. So this seems completely unnecessary. Oh well, nobody asked me.

6 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Blogger The Old Bag said...

Same thing going on around here, losing our rolling hills and woods...

* sigh *

...ya don' know what you got til it's gone....

PS I think I can safely say I'll stay a spectator!

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger The Donut Guy said...

Ptelea, I have you beat on the car wash.

As soon as it warms up some, I will bike to an even *gaudier* car wash near wher I live and take some pics.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

George, I wouldn't have believed it before seeing this one but I am afraid that you probably CAN top it. Let me know when you get the photos!

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Lily said...

Ptelea-
So nice to meet you! I often see you at our buddy Neil's. I usually read Neil in the morning to start the day in the proper snarky/cheerful mood. That IS one elaborate car wash! Wow! The pictures otherwise of your environs are beautiful.

Sad, whats going on with development, and the thing is- we are doing it in such stupid ways that really defy good land use practices. But nobody asked me either.

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

That car wash almost looks like...home, doesn't it? With the beautiful, beaming 'CAR WASH' sign. Ah! So reassuring! I can honestly say that I have never seen such a beautiful big car wash.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Ptelea said...

For the longest time we didn't know what they were building....that is until they installed the giant CAR WASH signs! It does look kind of like a house - what's with that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home