Sunday, August 06, 2006

shades of gray


Except for the rich colors that streaked across the sky before the sunrise got swallowed up by the thick bank of clouds just above the horizon, this morning’s adventure was framed in shades of gray.

I made a quick trip up the hill to a vantage point followed by a quick trip down the hill to the lake.  There were two white pelicans on the water but a few minutes later, three more pelicans dropped in, swooping slowly overhead and gracefully landing in the water.   Unlike the smaller Canada geese, these big birds set down in a slow, quiet and graceful manner.  They circle first before landing as if carefully selecting their place in the lake.

White pelicans move through the water rather rapidly, constantly looking down for food.  I kept trying to get close to where they were, only to find myself on the opposite side of the lake most of the time.  Finally, I sat on a rock close to where they seemed to do a lot of fishing.  It was still too far away to get good photos but close enough to have a great view of them diving and eating.  After a couple of day’s closely observing waterfowl, I am definitely saving for a telephoto lens.

My photos all turned out looking almost as if I had used black and white film.  It was early and overcast and rather dark – but still a great start to the day.  We get more than enough sunny days here in Colorado.  I treasure the cloudy ones!

7 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to watch Pelicans, but I've never seen any inland. When we go to the beach, in South Carolina, I see them all day. I love the way that they cruise just above the water looking for food; Upon spotting it they climp high, execute a turn and CRASH back into the water to get the prize.

I've yet to photograph this because they only seem to do this in the middle of the day. We are in the water at the same time then. :-)

Other times, like in the morning, they don't do this. Perhaps it's too dim.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger The Old Bag said...

Wow! Love the blue and orange sky over the city lights!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Monterey John said...

Pelicans in Colorado, I'll be darned. Never heard of such a thing. Very cool.

Popped over to your photoblog, that is interesting. What are you using to post the pix? Picassa?

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Val Serrie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful shots - as usual! I can't wait to see what you can do with a telephoto lens.

v

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Ptelea said...

Thank you for all of your comments. I am just using the blogger photo posting utility and also posting from Photobucket. I am going to investigate all of the alternatives that I can find, so I WELCOME any suggestions or advice in the area of what works well and, of course, what doesn't work well.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

I love the Canada geese. They are so much fun to feed and visit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home