Monday, June 19, 2006

night into day

It was nearly dark and there was the strong smell of smoke in the air as I headed up to Top of the World Park. With a little light still on the horizon, I decided to try some long exposures – just for the fun of it!

With the big dark clouds and the city lights and maybe even the haze of smoke, I love the way my camera turns night into day. When I downloaded the shots – there were all of those pesky multi-colored sparkles of light throughout my images (I had seen this before on one of my moon shots). After a little research, I now know what NOISE is!! Tonight I am going to read up on NOISE reduction and see what that does.
Is there no end to the fun??

4 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Monterey John said...

Photosphop, and it's less expensive competitor Paintshop, can both de-speckle and reduce noise. I suspect Elements does too.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Ptelea said...

Thank you John - I knew someone would give me more info here! I have barely used the editing softwares yet - just for contrast enhancement mostly. I am pretty sure my camera has a noise reduction setting which I was thinking of trying.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

Out of curiousity, what was your ISO setting? Needless to say, the higher the ISO, the higher the noise quotient.

I have a crappy point and shoot camera, so I find noise in every photo with an ISO rating higher than 50. The really high end SLRs can go up to 1600 ISO without much noise at all.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

Hi Tim,

The stats on that photo are:
focal length 22mm
f-stop f/22
exposure time 60 sec.
ISO speed ISO-800
date & time 6/18/2006 9:11 PM
camera Olympus E-1
lens Zuiko 14-54 mm
1:2.8-3.5

and yes, I used a tripod!

You do great things with your point & shoot because as you know, it has a lot of settings that allow you to do more than point and shoot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home