Monday, November 20, 2006

hour before sunrise with two


This was a morning to share. Both of my sons are home for the holiday. My older son consented to accompany me on my morning photo shoot. I am not used to going in twos, especially when one of them needs to eat before embarking and that someone is not me. After a little frantic searching to locate enough gloves and scarves to protect two from the cold, we laughed at how unbecomingly dressed we were. I told my son that sometimes I like to stop by Starbucks on the way home (there is pretty much one on the way home, no matter where I go!!) but my thrown-together, just-hopped-out-of-bed look is sure to draw stares in the coffee line. Usually that thought is enough to save me a few dollars.

We headed out with a sky full of colorful clouds already forming. So a quick drive to nearby Addenbrook Park was the hastily chosen destination. There were quite a few cars in the parking lot and we saw the usual dog walkers and lake walkers. The geese were just starting to wake up. We got close to the water’s edge and watched with fascination how the geese scoop up water, throwing it over their body followed by a stretching wing flap, all part of a bathing ritual, or so we guessed.

The colors were a mixture of dark and light, then quickly evolving into a breathtaking display that we both were able to photograph. My son was getting very cold by the actual time of sunrise. He was happy when I told him that I often end the morning within a minute or two of sunrise.

It is, after all, the hour before sunrise that I seem drawn to most.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Paul said...

What a special time to share. You also got some great shots. My kids don't wake up until WAY AFTER sunrise. :-)

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Ptelea said...

LOL - this is a rare occurrence and actually this son hadn't gone to bed yet!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home