Sunday, November 20, 2005

Long's Peak seen from the Hayden - Green Mountain trail, Jefferson County, Colorado 6:30 a.m.

Sunday mornings are really the best time to hike Green Mountain. There are fewer hikers and cyclists at this time than any other. The traffic noise from the top is almost non-existent. It is easy to imagine that I have the mountain completely to myself. Weekdays seem to attract the disciplined crowd and if I hike at the same time each day, I see some of the same people.

I have been off of my schedule. I made the decision last night to commit to a sunrise hike this morning. I have been using the excuse of being tired to avoid it. But I know that the hike only gives me energy and any I use is replenished many times over. There is even a good feeling that comes with sore legs!

I love to leave the house in the hour before the sun rises. The gradual lighting of the day and the intense energy of the new sun completely restores me. All my worries dissipate and calm overtakes me. I can step up my pace or even add jogging if I want to increase the workout level. But the clincher for me is the sacred spot I find inside of myself when I face the morning sun with all of the mountains and plains unfolding around me. Many people would be bored with this repetitive routine. I find a new world of awe each day that I am able to return and feel blessed for the opportunity.

1 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger The Donut Guy said...

That is one *sweet* picture.

Certainly worth getting up early for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home