Friday, June 23, 2006

Scarlet Bottlebrush or ?



I took this photo way back in January near San Francisco.  I have been too lazy to try and figure out what is.  Considering that I am a botanist, this is very lazy!  But Monterey John posted a beautiful photo today that lit a fire under me!

My first photo is of the inflorescence just opening up, while the second photo is from the same shrub but in full flower.

The third photo is a low-growing succulent that I could see was full of cobwebs when I got close to snap this picture.  And no…I don’t know what it is!

4 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos of these plants. Living in Australia I can straight away identify these plants as bottlebrush & pigface species! cheers :)

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Monterey John said...

It's so nice to have a botanist around the house :) Thanks.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Coeur Mechant said...

Those succulents are wonderful. They grow all along the coast around Monterey. I especially like the different hues they can have growing there. Sorry I can't give you the specific botanical name.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

Thanks to David's common name, I was able to figure out that the second plant is a Carpobrotus (from Greek meaning edible fruit). There are two species (chilensis and edulis) common on the California coast, with the common names of sea fig or Hottentot fig among others. They hybridize with each other so it is nearly impossible to tell apart from what I have to go on. They are both non-native and considered to be somewhat of a problem. They are quite beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home