Wednesday, July 18, 2007

days wind down


I am down to the last 2 days of work here along the Rio Grande doing bird surveys. Although I am tired of the hard work and hours we must keep, I am thoroughly enjoying my last days. The river that I was afraid to cross in May and June is now a pleasure to stroll in - shallow and cool - as we make our way from one end of our site to the other. It sure beats crashing through the Russian olive.


Yesterday, I came upon this Woodhouse toad sitting on a sandbar among some coyote willow. He sat there calmly as I dug through my pack for my camera. He didn't even seem too rattled by my "man-handling." On the other hand, I was thoroughly rattled when I almost stepped on a rattlesnake about one hour earlier. I didn't even consider taking HIS photo - you will just have to use your imagination!


2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always been so interesting to me as to why toads seem so fearless. Frogs, on the other hand seem to hop into the water with even the slightest provocation.

What a handsome guy! :-)

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Now those are some cute feet and legs -- much preferred over the big hairy spider.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home