Monday, October 13, 2008

searching for angels


With a little free time today, I headed out to take some photos of angels and other statuary in the local cemetery. Usually, when I go to photograph the cemetery, I just wander around and take pictures of things that strike me as interesting. But lately, I have decided to focus a little energy on statues. I am fascinated by the poses and the calm beauty that most of them exhibit. Don't ask me why although I can say it is not about religion or the supernatural. Since this is a new fascination, the first two nearby cemeteries I went to did not appear to have any angels....oops.




















So, I headed to the nearest BIG cemetery and immediately found quite a few statues to admire. One of the things I like about cemeteries is the peace and quiet and sense of being alone, as strange as that may sound since you are surrounded by reminders of hundreds of people! But today was different. There were quite a few people driving around or mourning at gravesites.

Once as I was photographing a pair of angels, a car circled around and parked right by me as I finished my photographs. A woman and a man got out and walked right over to where I had just been and began taking photographs! I sort of felt like I was being followed. Then later, I saw another car stop at an angel and take her photograph. Now I realize that angels are a popular subject for photography but this was a little unnerving.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger Ellie said...

Statues like this make me think of their artists, chiseling away, or reverse wax casting, what ever. Their beauty comes across in your photos.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Cool pix! You would love some of the ones I shot in Buenos Aires. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home