Tuesday, January 01, 2008

mystery and beauty

view from the hot tub on a very cold high-desert evening - seeing mystery and beauty in the night sky


I sigh with relief after the holidays are over. I am not a big fan of Christmas and often feel very out of sync with the massive materialism of this time of year. I have been swamped with new job details and would rather focus on a future of getting organized and enjoying life.

I do like to reflect on the New Year simply as a time of renewal and re-focusing on what is important. It is as good a time as any to get my house in order – figuratively – although getting my house “de-cluttered” is part of my plan.

While it seems like I haven’t been taking many photographs, I have spent countless hours getting my huge inventory organized and processed. It is a huge undertaking. A friend mentioned to me that I need to give myself the time to reflect after such a big project of 365 days of sunrise photography. Among many other things, it did give me a reason to go out and practice my art. I am taking my time pondering what my next big project may be. I think of it like a plant that put massive energy into producing a flower –
now is a time to restore my roots and stems and leaves.

Time to reflect – time to think – these seem to be considered time wasted by some standards of our society. By that measure, I will be wasting a lot of time in the coming year.

What will I be doing in the next year? Among other things and in no particular order:

  • Listening to my inner voice and following it to new photographic challenges

  • After three years of straying from exercise, finding a new balance between photography and physical activity(new friends at work want to take up snowshoeing and going to the health club across the street from work at lunch time)

  • Continue to plug away at organizing my photographs – don’t think of it as a task with a clear ending – but as a continuum that is always evolving and moving forward!

  • Further simplify my life and house. I am in the process of clearing out years of clutter that started forming when I moved into this house in 1990. Over the years, I have kept many things related to my children who are now in college. It is time to separate the wheat from the chafe and lighten the load. Or maybe I could think of it as letting more light into my home!

  • Willingly allow myself to be drafted into the political process beginning in February. My political friend has put me on notice and I will feel better knowing that I have been part of the decision making process rather than a bystander or “victim”!

Wishing all of you a bright New Year full of change and love and peace.

p.s. as I look out my window at the birds, I am going to add birding to my list of new challenges!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Ellie said...

Love your list. I should make one myself. Good luck on the decluttering, I can personally say it is not an easy task.
One thing I did not see on your list for 2008 is a biweekly trip to that wonderful bakery!!!!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

I am finally starting the job of de-cluttering and organizing. eBay is finally starting to get some of my precious junk. I've been too busy to breathe for at least 2 years. Now I have some time, at last.

Beautiful colors in that photo.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Cool Daddio said...

Sounds like a good year ahead of you, well you and 'Buddy' :-)

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

Ellie, did you have to remind me of the bakery? Truthfully, it is never far from my mind!!

Blueberry - I will have to give some thought to the eBay route. That might be fun.

Cool Daddio - Buddy and I are itching to get out - unfortunately there has been too much snow lately for my level of riding ability.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home