Sunday, December 04, 2005

Shifting Gears



In that never-ending effort to get out there in the world, to be a more social person, I joined friends for an overnight party in downtown Denver. (OMG inside of that Denver skyline that I so often view from afar!) For someone who spends her time on the mountain chasing sunrise or at work or in front of this computer, an urban evening spent in the company of people who like to party is…well…like being a stranger in a strange land. Because I am interested in historical architecture and the arts, and believe in a more efficient lifestyle where all of your needs are within walking or bicycle distance, I tell myself that I could someday enjoy living in the city in some efficient and elegant loft home. Who am I kidding? The city will never be anything to me other than a great place to visit and then only in limited doses.

My friends and I found a quiet niche away from the rest of our boisterous group and enjoyed the Christmas parade from our hotel room window. We share a bond of motherhood and have reached an age where we now have time to cultivate our own interests. This age, mid 40’s and older, is a great age to be a woman. We have earned self-confidence even if we didn’t have it when we younger. All of our hard work and sacrifice have made us appreciate the blessings that life has to offer. We have seen our children through enough of life to now be able to be independent from them.

After the parade, we rejoined the party but left again to seek more quiet companionship, a lemon sundrop martini and some fine Italian antipasti. We partied, connected, and woke up refreshed and ready to seek more new adventures together again in the future. Embrace and Celebrate.

1 Comments:

At 4:03 AM, Blogger The Donut Guy said...

That's good stuff. My wife and I are finding out that life begins in your mid-40's :-)

We still have 2 kids to help send through college but we have more freedom to do stuff then we've had in the past 20 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home