Saturday, December 31, 2005

Sunset 2005

Today’s sunset looked to have all the potential of one of my best sunrises. Hikers coming down the trail as I was going up told me I would have a great sunset to photograph as they noticed my camera and tripod. I was almost giddy with excitement as the sky was filled with huge, unusual looking clouds that I could already imagine in shades of pink. I hurried towards the top to be in my best position. But as I got closer, the clouds just kept getting darker and there was barely a hint of pink. There really was nothing to photograph. I can’t seem to capture the different shades of gray.Then as I turned toward the city, I realized the real show for the evening. The clouds were beginning to take on the flush of the city lights, glowing apparitions. When I took a photo, I was surprised to see how much more luminous they actually looked! As I headed back, the evening now totally dark, I passed by the tower, dark against light, only visible because I knew it was there.The trail was dark with the glare of the lights in my eyes; I was glad I knew the trail so well.My experience wasn’t anything like I anticipated but it was good all the same, very good.

4 Comments:

At 4:53 AM, Blogger The Donut Guy said...

That photo of the clouds above the city lights is *sweet* :-)

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger The Old Bag said...

LOVE the last one with the tower, and the blacks and oranges!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Wow! That second one looks like a pink mushroom cloud.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

I have other pictures that look more like a mushroom cloud but I didn't want to give anyone the idea that I was in a drug-induced state!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home