Friday, September 15, 2006

daily dose of beauty


I have a friend who looks at my photography and says he doesn’t particularly like any signs of man that show up in them.
I have met other photographers who feel the same way.
Me, well I embrace whatever is there before my eyes.
My favorite Top of the World Park is full to the brim with signs of man.
In real life this ‘park’ is part of my local high school. It has a baseball field, tennis courts, a track and football field, a soccer & lacrosse field and last but not least, a softball field. Even though much of the trappings are hidden in the dark silhouettes of the predawn, you can still see the chain link fences of all heights, the various nets and cages and equipment sheds right up there against the beautiful sunrises, sunsets or cloud-filled skies.
Does it ever bother me? Other than trying to frame my photos so that these signs of man are not dominant, I just take them in stride.
Beauty is a gift that does not require perfection.

I got up a little late and was thinking of skipping the sunrise this morning. As usual, the many clouds in the morning sky out my kitchen window alerted me to a potentially spectacular sunrise. As I skipped up the steps to Top of the World, one of the regular walkers was coming down and he commented:
beautiful sunrise….ahead!

5 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there - i came across your blog by complete accident and have throughly enjoyed seeing your photographs! I most admire your passion - even driving you to get up so early in the morning!! You might like an Australian artist called Bill Henson who is gorgeous - just incase you haven't seen his work yet!

I have ablog too - http://piper--girl.blogspot.com - just some of my drawings and other bits and pieces. if you have a chance check it out!

Keep up with the photos - i can't wait to see more!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I was scrolling through randoms blogs and I saw your photos. They are spectacular. The world God created and in which we live is truly mind boggling, with all of the colors and variations. If we are willing to look there is beauty all around us. Keep up the good work.
God Bless

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi - thanks for checking out my blog! I am fascinated by pinhole photography at the moment. Here is a link to download a template for a camera that you can make out of cardboard. I spoke to fanatic here in Australia and he said to use either a size 12 or size 10 hand sewing needle to make the hole.

Heres the link:
http://www.pinhole.cz/downloads/dirkon_en.pdf

Make sure you post some of your pinhole experiments - I am handing in my final folio in a weeks time and then I hope to build this and have a go too!

Good Luck!

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely shots, indeed! I totally agree with you. I think that some man made items actually add drama to the shot. For example, the outlines of houses, especially if there are a couple of lights on in the house, is quite dramatic against a sunrise or sunset. You just have to take it all in stride. Now, aren't you glad that you decided to get up and go. :-) I'm never disappointed about making that decision.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger deezee said...

I love the juxtapostion of human and nature, so I welcome the collision.

Lovely images.

(and thanks for happening onto my site and for your comments...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home