Monday, September 18, 2006

Millennium Bridge & city lights at sunrise


This morning, I wanted to go on a photography adventure. I am torn by the fact that I haven’t gotten up to the mountains to photograph the changing aspen leaves. Time is running out for that. I halfway planned to get up at 4 a.m. and drive up for a quick shot over an hours drive from home. But my sensible side snagged me back to reality. There is no way that I could head up there for a QUICK trip and still have the rest of the day to do the things that I must.

Instead, I headed downtown, a 15-minute drive, and walked along Speer Boulevard from Confluence Park towards Wewatta Street.

Confluence Park

This is a different world from mine yet the imposing skyscrapers, lights and bridges fascinate me. Oddly enough, it was the many loft-style condos lining the urban landscape that caught my attention. I walked along a couple old-style arched bridges and crossed the railroad corridor.

Speer Boulevard bridge

At first it was so dark that I didn’t realize I was over the railroad until the light rail sped by and then a freight train powered up with horns blasting just as I was taking a photograph of the Millennium Bridge.

Millennium Bridge viewed from where Speer Boulevard crosses over the railroad.

The wall of lofts looked dark and vacant although I am sure they were full of sleeping city dwellers. My eye was drawn to the flicker of a large flat screen TV. This one loft had lights blazing and since it faced the world in glass, I could see someone walking around with the light from the TV dominating the room.

As the day became light, I turned around and caught a view of the lavender-colored continental divide, seen as a backdrop to all of the signs of man and development. Back home, I found a map that showed I had been walking at the very location where the city of Denver was founded 148 years ago. I guess my photography adventure turned into a history lesson.

5 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pictures are looking good and deserve a better template. Can I make a suggestion? Google up Beta Blogger and do some experimenting. You don't have to go public with it until you want to. Just fiddle with it until you get something you like the presents your photos in a way you are happy with. I enjoy seeing your stuff.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger micki said...

A history lesson with some great photography involved! What a morning you had, did you still get all that had to be done completed?

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

John, I always welcome your suggestions! I have been a little busy with work but I will get around to trying Beta Blogger! Soon!

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

Micki - I rarely get all that I need to get done!!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Big Daddy said...

Great pics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home