Sunday, November 16, 2008

a great weekend comes to a close

sunset over Green Mountain

In spite of necessity and guilt, I managed to sneak in some fun this weekend. After a friend went through the math and informed me about how many days I might have left in life, I made a few commitments to change. After all, all we really have is now since the past is gone and there are no guarantees of any future.

Like many, I am overwhelmed with too much work (but always the threat of no work at the same time - it's a double whammy!!) I fall into the trap of ... when I get caught up, I will do .... such and such. Well, I am tired of waiting until I catch up! I am becoming a master at knowing what can slide and how long it can go before unpleasant things start happening.

clouds put on a show for those who take the time to look

I set aside the work for some hours and hiked Green Mountain and took a bunch of photos, two sunsets and the hike. I am tired and ever so slightly satisfied and ready or just about ready to maybe get some work done. (aaahhh the fine art of procrastination)

Also, I am making an official announcement that I am trying to get back into shape. I have hit rock bottom, I don't have the energy I need to get my work and fun done. Oh and the fact that my son (the one studying in Paris) is coming home for Christmas and he sent me an article today about the town in West Virginia with the highest rate of obesity. I don't want him to see me and think of that article! So today, I started back hiking.

my pre-hiking physique :)

It was a glorious November day, low 60's and sunny. With cold and snow lurking just a forecast away, hundreds of people were out exercising and enjoying the weather. For once, I didn't mind being part of the crowd.

the tower is the goal

Now, Sunday evening, I am feeling that old familiar apprehension about all that I didn't get done. It will still be there tomorrow, have no fear.

yesterday's sunset over Crown Hill Lake - hundreds of Canada geese come home for the night

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger ellie said...

I wish I had a Green Mtn. to hike. I have to use the elliptical machine. Blueberry talks about the guinea pig wheel that is how I feel on it. Expending a whole lot of energy and going now where. At least the scenery changes for you and your breathing fresh air. See I know cause you took me there. Only you could breath a whole lot easier than I could at that altitude.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

I definitely thought of the time I took you up there. It was a calm day until I got to the trailhead and then the wind picked up. It wasn't as windy as that day but nearly so. I gave up on the hat!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Steve Skinner said...

When I was working, I always tried to set aside a few hours for "fun time" each week to do whatever. This time was ofter better than a week's vacation! My only regret is that I didn't make it a priority soon enough in life.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Cool Daddio said...

Wow the top sunset is a stunner! Always tough to balance that work thing but s you said I am feeling mighty glad to have one and one I like to boot :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home