Tuesday, January 03, 2006

BLOW-UP

I got an early start and it did seem dark as I started out with no help from the moon. The sky seemed free of clouds until I reached the tower. Then I noticed a hooked cloud on the horizon and soon other clouds appeared everywhere. At the top, it was apparent that there was some weather moving over the divide or soon to be, anxious wall of clouds spilling out into the plains. I looked to the north and took some photos of my favorite view of the Front Range, including the flatirons in Boulder. There was an unusual cluster of very bright lights – like one normal light multiplied many times over. It hurt my eyes as I stared in that direction, trying to make sense of it. Then I stood on my rock and blessed those I care about and tried as I always do to receive some energy from the rising sun to pass on to them. After I finished, I was going to pack up and head down when all of a sudden the now plentiful clouds turned from white to pink and back to white in a matter of a couple of minutes. I managed to get a few photos as this amazing transformation took place. If I had been standing there meditating with my eyes closed (as I do) when this happened – I could have missed the entire sequence. Again I looked to the north, but now the spot where the lights had been was bathed in a rainbow-colored halo. It was a concentrated circle of rainbow, not the kind you see shooting across the sky. I took several photos to make sure I documented it – I had never seen anything like it before. I started to get a little spooked and headed home as the entire western and northern sky turned very dark. Just what had I seen? It was probably nothing sinister but knowing that the deactivated nuclear weapons production facility, Rocky Flats, is in the vicinity of the rainbow didn’t help allay my fears. Or maybe I saw Blow-up (1966 movie, directed by Michelangelo Antonioni) one too many times as a teenager. Beats me……

4 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger The Old Bag said...

bizarre rainbow (those teenaged years come back to haunt a person!)

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger historymike said...

This is an incredible blog with amazing photos. I was inspired to start a new "photography" category in my links because of your work here.

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger The Donut Guy said...

I'm not sure what you saw, but you're spookin' me out:-)

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are so amazing - they almost look like alien landscapes.
Things look different at 6,000 ft, I guess...
v

 

Post a Comment

<< Home