Monday, January 02, 2006

while you sleep

Even when I am sleepy, I am drawn to getting up very early. I prefer to get up and see the hour before sunrise and recharge later with a nap in a warm sunny spot. My heart is lifted by the subtle and vibrant colors in this hour when night is turning into day. It is the details in life that fascinate me.
I have shed the ordinary life; hoping there is never a need to return. Whether I am walking or driving to the spot where I will greet the rising sun, my eyes are drawn to the giant cottonwoods, reservoir sentinels in the city. We are both reaching for the sky. I just need to remember to keep my eyes on the road!

6 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. I am severely 'drawn' back under my covers that early in the morning.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

Neil,

I am rather severely conflicted about leaving the warmth of my flannel sheets but, I have to face the fact that I am obsessed.

Kvatch,

I am definitely possessed by something - and whatever it is makes it hard to function in the real world.

J.L.

Thanks for that very nice thought. I have always been a morning person and so it isn't really that hard to get up especially when I want to hike or photograph or both!

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy the sunrise, too. But I don't have the time to do the fieldwork you are doing. But you do such an excellent job of capturing the essence of it that I am happy to elect you to attend these moments as my proxy.
Say hello from me....

v

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

I have been indulging myself the last few weeks. Now work is going to have to take the front burner (Nooooooo) but I'm hoping that I can be more organized and more productive so that I still have time to go out everyday. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it!!

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you say, JL.

Mycroft was the undisputed smarter brother, but he never left the nest of his London club, so the stories are not written about him.

Sherlock put on the cloak and the hat and headed out into the world to solve mysteries and carve a name for himself.

Similarly, I heap praise and admiration upon Kathy here for making the effort to get up at 4am, climb a mountain, and bring back these gems.

The beautiful painting that lies only in the mind sells for nothing.

Participating in the world is a lesson for us all, I think. Good job, Kathy.
v

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Ptelea said...

To be perfectly honest, I don't get up until 5 a.m. I thank you for your comments!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home