Sunday, August 05, 2007

going with the flow of the day


It was one of those mornings when one thing led to another. I drove to a park that overlooks the Denver skyline. The sunrise seemed gray at first and a possible wash-out but I summoned some patience and finally, the clouds put on a beautiful display.

Instead of heading home right after sunrise like I usually do, I decided to take photos of some buildings that I have had my eye on for some time. One place was an old brick tower/smokestack surrounded by the newer hospital. I am a little nervous about photographing when I am not working under the cloak of darkness. As I was walking around taking photos, a man approached me and asked if he could help me. It seemed like a strange question since I was clearly taking photos. I told him that I was just taking photos and asked him if he had a problem with that. From his response I guess you could say that I didn’t make a good first impression. My question to him came out much more defensive than I had intended. I guess I blew that first chance!! He just walked away with no further comment.



I wandered around another building and saw that I was taking photos of an old hospital built in 1939 that was now part of the newer hospital complex. On the front were three panels of painted murals, now almost completely faded/deteriorated to just faint outlines of people. My curiosity was quite aroused. Who painted these murals and why had they been allowed to deteriorate to such a sad state? I waited for the morning light to shine on all three before leaving for home.





On the way home, I noticed a big red double-decker bus advertising, “Party-Buses” I laughed because this bus was so run down and seedy looking. Now would you want to rent a party bus based on this??



At home I did a little Internet searching and found that Louise Emerson Ronnebeck painted my murals in 1940. These and most others of hers have not survived. I found reference to a biographical portrait of her and emailed the journal to request a copy. Within 10 minutes I received an electronic copy of the story of Louise’s life. Talk about instant gratification! I am still curious though – I want to know more.

I’ve come to the end of my weekend, happy with the experiences I had yet just ever so weighed down by all of the chores that I didn’t get done. Oh well – that is what lists are for…

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy, you certainly got an interesting variety of photographs. That skyline is beautiful! It sounds like a fantastic morning. I, too, wonder how the man was going to help. Interesting. Perhaps he hoped to put in a cameo appearance in one of your shots. :-)

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Cool Daddio said...

What excellent avoidance techniques you have developed ;-) You must tell of these things you call lists. They sound very scary.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Ptelea said...

"Lists" are more theoretical than anything else. I can pretty much guarantee that if I put it on a list - it WON'T get done. At least then, I can say I tried!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home